You must have written loads of papers and submitted a number of documents to support your academic qualification degree till now. Many of you are also familiar with the term ‘thesis’, in case you are pursuing your masters in any field. A dissertation is somewhat similar to a thesis, differing in the sense that it’s drafted mainly for a doctorate in any subject.
What is a Dissertation?
So what exactly is a dissertation writing? A strictly textual definition of a dissertation can be said to be a research paper that is supporting the student’s perspective regarding a particular topic and hence paves the pathway for his or her attainment of a doctorate. While thesis and dissertation are not all that different, both of them fulfill slightly varied purposes.
Imagine you are researching a quite detailed topic related to your field of study and need to present your findings to another person, probably at a higher professional ground than yours. Writing an essay that’s usually not more than 3000 words isn’t enough to explain your point of view and can render the observations ineffective. A dissertation is what makes your theory plausible by including every perspective, every step you have taken and every plan of action strategist.
In this article, we will start with the basics and climb the higher rungs towards a perfect dissertation. Most asked questions regarding a dissertation paper will also be answered to their fullest and you might just find a way to make your paper one of the best ones out there. What are waiting for? Read on to know more!
Most people wonder why it’s so important to know the definition of a dissertation when you can just start with your research and jot down points related to it as the first step. That’s where the trail of obstacles begins! If you don’t know the basic definition and the difference between a dissertation paper and an essay, you won’t be able to draft an effective plan and execute it to have a perfect thesis.
Dissertation definition, in its entirety, contains a basic understanding the writer must have when he’s planning to start a research and record his findings. Knowing the level of importance a dissertation paper is given while doling out a doctorate’s degree can give an individual a fair idea on how much attention they should pay to the even the most minuscule details. A dissertation paper contains the subject that a person chooses for himself. It usually starts with a broad topic and the sub-topics narrow down till they reach a specific area of interest. The importance of each section is highlighted and supported by conclusive findings in the paper. Many times, the term ‘Graduate Thesis’ is used to imply both a graduate thesis paper and a doctorate dissertation paper.
What is a dissertation paper? Is it the same as an essay or a compressed thesis paper?
While we explored the difference between a thesis, an essay, and a dissertation above, this question will exclusively focus on the structure of a dissertation paper and its importance. A dissertation paper is not a brief overview of a wide array of topics but focuses exclusively on a particular theme. Everything related to the topic i.e. past research, futuristic expectations, and the present case scenario is included with detailed descriptions of certain keywords.
Most dissertation papers are of 150 to 200 pages with the extremes ranging from 21 to 2000 pages. Going by the length, it’s clear that if one doesn’t delve deep into the given topic, they cannot achieve the desired standard. There are 5 different parts in a well-structured paper and this criterion is important and should be met for a paper to get published. Those 5 themes are – A comprehensive abstract, a good introductory stance, a tested methodology, a discussion part for related literature, and a spot-on conclusion summarizing the entire paper. As writing this paper is a long and complex process, the best way to do is to hire a reliable academic service to do the needful.
• The abstract – The abstract can be considered as an opening statement, something that gives the reader a fair idea about the composition of the written work. It includes the brief mention of not only all the subtopics but also has hints regarding the conclusion of the given study. There’s a standard length prescribed for an abstract as going for a lengthier approach might just add to confusion while a shorter abstract might not be sufficient enough.
• The introduction – After the table of content, the introductory part is included. This narrows down the author’s perspective and pinpoints the direction of the paper. The purpose of the dissertation is included here as well as any remarks that will be supported in the following sections are briefly mentioned. The value of the study’s mentioned here to help the future researchers know its reference significance and foundational worth in their study.
• The Methodology – What kind of research methodologies will the researcher be using are included in this section. There is a wide array of techniques for choosing the best method which is primarily of three different types. Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods of research are used for all types of studies and they have helped the drafting process of every topic. As it’s quite a clear cut distinction, researchers used one of the three and reach upon conclusive findings to support their theory which is included in the last section.
• Review of Related literature – This part includes the whole tirade of past work done on the chosen topic and also relevant statistics that strengthen the conclusive stance of the researcher. Including citations not only in this section but also throughout the paper will make the theory look viable and hence it can then be taken more seriously. As this section includes even the most remotely related topics, its length is highly variable; depending on the theme and amount of past research.
• The Conclusion – This part is the summary of the entire written work and is often presented in a simple manner to attain a desired response from the readers. It includes findings from the methodology used, includes certain important points from the related literature part, and then emphasizes the final goal of the author himself. The writer can then also add his recommendations as an ending paragraph and give a direction to future researchers contributing to the topic.
A thesis can be at an undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate level. Though the terms differ, their meaning doesn’t change significantly. A well-researched topic has to be presented and a straight-forward conclusion must be reached. Mostly, a repeatedly asked question is focused upon and a probable theory is decided and researched upon. There are many steps to follow while computing data and providing reliable data at the university level as the individual’s work will be making a significant difference in the current understanding of the topic.
At the university level, one must know about the expectations from their paper. If a certain level of precision is expected in data research and compilation, the prospects must be met at any cost. This will make the paper more lucrative and believable. Having a clear goal in mind for the dissertation will help sort the potential beliefs and the individual can then focus on certain methodologies rather than straying from the path.
It cannot be emphasized more that university-level dissertation requires impeccable editing skills. It is editing that enhances the project and highlights things that are the author’s main points of focus. The author’s perspective then stands out from the pre-acknowledged knowledge regarding the topic. Also, editing shouldn’t be done at the time of drafting as it can disrupt the flow of the paper. The researcher should edit the document with an unfaltering guarantee when all the facts have been compiled in one place and the theory is set to perfection.
What is required for a dissertation paper? What important prerequisites must be met?
Various requirements must be met to create a dissertation paper that will get you that doctorate’s degree. Some of these are technical obligations, some are literary conditions and others are merely related to the techniques or methods used to arrive at a definite conclusion. Some important format requirements are mentioned below:
1. Font size – The font size should be 11, 12, or 13 with dark characters that are pleasing to the eyes and can be focused upon easily. Other annotations should be properly marked to avoid punctuation errors or grammatical mistakes.
2. Margin size – All the binding side margins should be 1.5 inches and the others can be up to one inch. This requirement is mainly aesthetic as white space provides an easier positioning of important data and the readers can read without word dizziness.
3. Language usage – All the dissertations must be drafted in English since it’s a universal language. Some exceptions are made, based on the topic and cultural neutrality. Even so, a summary of 15-20 pages must be prepared in English and special permissions must be taken to publish the study.
4. Text division and orientation – Even though this may seem trivial, the approval panel does pay special attention to the subdivision of words throughout the paper. Headings should be given keeping in mind the available space on the page as also hyphenated words shouldn’t be separated across pages.
5. Referencing system – Whatever data that is not original or any inspiration that is drawn from previous research must be jotted down. There’s a certain format to write references that varies across fields and should be carefully studied. This prevents confusion and plagiarism issues, giving due credit to the author.
Besides these technical requirements, previous knowledge about the research topic is obligatory. Even if one’s graduation degree is different, one ought to know about the field and the subject they are researching upon well. This can be indicated by the number of jargon words used throughout the thesis paper and also how a complex topic is portrayed. When one can simplistically explain a multifaceted topic, the person is said to be well-versed in the subject. The written work then can be held creditable and can be used as a tenacious foundation for further research in the field.
What is the purpose of a dissertation paper?
Is it only for people who are familiar with the complex terminologies?
There are 2 main purposes of a dissertation – To find out new data related to a particular field or refute previous theories by providing concrete evidence. Even the two types of dissertations are classified on the purpose fulfilled: Empirical and non-empirical dissertation papers. Culminating these two, one can say that a thesis propagates a certain point of view which is well supported by experimental data. Whatever might be the purpose of the dissertation paper, it adds to the existing pool of knowledge and can even bring about revolutionary changes in a certain field.
Stereotypes can be formulated to suit a certain situation via a research paper as it studies patterns or trends restricted to a specific element. This is by far the most well-known purpose of a thesis and presently, many studies are being conducted that fulfill this criterion, across the globe. Students are also graded based on the thesis they manage to draft as it tests their research skills which are important in normal functioning as well. Though not very obvious, we use our research capabilities every day to arrive at simple conclusions, and hence, grading of a dissertation paper is called for.
The above-mentioned elements of a well-researched paper are what define a dissertation. One should adhere to all guidelines to produce a knowledgeable draft that can alter the course of a trend for good. Dissertation papers are important to attain a doctorate and shouldn’t be taken lightly. Many people focus on the experimental part of a study and trivialize the drafting process, which is a huge error. Perception and accumulation of the theory amongst readers are characteristics what render a paper successful while the research capacity is what makes the human race distinct from other species and one should refine and cherish this quality by all means possible. To ensure a good quality paper that may change your life, the best way is to hire a reputable academic paper writing service with experienced academic writer.